Adapted from one of my favorite blogs (Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life) with ingredients that I had on hand.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (not pictured)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1/4 cup Vanilla Sugar (from Penzey’s)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 zucchini)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the first 8 ingredients (whole wheat flour to cinnamon) in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla in a bowl and mix until blended. Stir in the zucchini.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Pour the batter into loaf pan.
5. Bake for about 1 hour or until a tooth pick comes out clean (mine took about 1 hour, 10 minutes). Cool in pan for 10-20 minutes before removing from pan.
This bread was delicious and super moist – made the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert. Top it with some peanut/almond butter and serve it with some fruit, milk or yogurt and you have a complete meal – whole grains, fruit, vegetable, protein, dairy. I will definitely be making this again and may substitute the apple sauce with pumpkin in the Fall! Enjoy!