A few weeks ago when I went to visit my sister and her new baby, I made a batch of these and put them in her freezer to reheat and eat on those days where she feels like she has no time. They finally were able to try them last week and really enjoyed it (or at least that’s what they told me). This is a great recipe to bring to a friend’s house to eat right away or for them to tuck away in their freezer until they are ready to eat it. You can substitute the filling per your preference and maybe even add chicken or ground turkey to the stuffing.
Also, the quality of these pictures is so much better than usual because of her fancy camera. Note to self: get one soon!
Adapted from Everybody Eats Gourmet!
1) Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. Do not overcook.
2) Place shells on flat surface to cool.
3) In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, mozzarella, and pepper jack cheeses and spinach. Add eggs, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper, and mix until combined.
4) Place a thin layer of sauce in each pan. Fill each shell with 2-3 tablespoons filling. Place shells, filled side down, in pan, allowing 3 to 4 shells per serving. (I used a small disposable casserole pan so that I could freeze them in small batches, but feel free to use a larger one). Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of additional cheese.
5) Cover each pan with foil and seal tightly. You may even want to then stick them in a freezer bag to ensure freshness. I wrote the instructions on the top itself, but you can print out labels or write the instructions on some tape. Freeze.
Obviously, if you decided to go ahead and cook them then you could skip the cover, seal, and freeze step and go ahead and follow the instructions in the picture above. Hope you enjoy!