Adapted from a combination of several basic cupcake recipes – including Cooking Light
This is a great recipe for a light and sweet cupcake!
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill cupcake/muffin pan with liners and spray with cooking spray.
2) Place 1 cup brown sugar and 7 tablespoons butter in a large mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended.
3) Add egg substitute to sugar mixture; beat well.
4) Lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.
5) Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternately with 1 cup fat-free milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6) Spoon batter into prepared pan. Fill batter up about 2/3 of the way. Sharply tap pan to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes (mine were done at 18 minutes) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and cupcakes are a light golden brown.
7) Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and allow to cool completely.
8) Meanwhile prepare frosting, combing 1/2 cup brown sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium heavy saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring constantly.
9) Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes. Enjoy!
Served a tall cold glass of skim milk.