I decided to combine a few of my favorite foods into one great breakfast.
For those of you that aren’t familiar with chia seeds…
The chia seed is an excellent source of fiber, packed with antioxidants, full of protein, loaded with vitamins
and minerals, and the richest known plant source of omega-3. Chia provides fiber (about 2 tablespoons–25 g–give you 7 g of fiber) as well as other important nutrients, including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, niacin, and zinc.
Adding just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds to your daily diet will give you approximately 7 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, 205 milligrams of calcium, and 5 grams of omega-3 which is
- More Omega-3 than Atlantic Salmon
- More Antioxidants than fresh blueberries
- More Fiber than bran flakes
- More Calcium than 2% milk
- More Protein, Fiber & Calcium than flax seed
Have I sold you yet? I started adding chia seeds to my foods a few weeks ago and love all the health benefits and the nutty crunch that it adds to foods. You can buy it in bulk at whole foods or online at some specialty health stores.
With the chia seeds, oats, almond milk, and frozen fruit this smoothie is truly a breakfast of champions.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other type of milk)
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit
1) Add 1 cup of milk, oats, and chia seeds into a blender. Mix well and close tightly. Let it sit in the fridge overnight.
2) In the morning, add the extra 1/2 cup of milk and frozen fruit. Blend until smooth.