Found this delicious recipe on a friend’s blog: http://fitforwellness.com/2011/01/07/banana-bread. Unfortunately I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand so I had to adapt. Turns out that the bread that I made was basically fat-free. It tasted great right out of the oven but began to dry out after a day or two. I’d recommend spreading a little bit of peanut butter on it for healthy fat or using eggs instead of egg whites, per the original recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, Splenda, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
4. Add this mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until just blended.
5. Spoon batter into a large loaf pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
6. Bake for about 50-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.