The slow cooker is probably my favorite kitchen gadget, especially in the wintertime. It’s the perfect solution for those of us that don’t have much time but enjoy a warm homemade meal at the end of the day. I used the slow cooker in this recipe so that the meat would turn out nice and tender, without any effort on my part.
- 1 pound steak, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 lime
- Additional toppings: cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa
A quick plug for Aldi: If you haven’t been to this grocery store, you need to go! It’s a very different experience from Wal-Mart/Target/Publix, but the prices are unbeatable and I’ve never been disappointed with the quality of the products…where else can you get a pack of 3 multicolored bell peppers for $1.99? I haven’t gotten to the comfort level of buying meat from there yet, but maybe one day.
- Layer the ingredients in the following order: bell peppers, onions, and steak.
2. Top with lime juice, fajita seasoning, and salsa.
3. Cook on low for 6 hours.
4. Top tortillas with fajita mixture and your favorite toppings.
And for dessert?
We had oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (Recipe: http://twopeasandtheirpod.com/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/)
Note: If you like your fajita meat to fall apart and be shredded, then I suggest adding 1 cup salsa or even 1 can of diced tomatoes.