Tonight I made my favorite soup recipe, white bean chicken chili. I found this recipe last December when I volunteered to make Christmas Eve supper for my family. Luckily it was a hit. My sister Stacey and mom have made it multiple times and Stacey told me to put it on the blog. Tonight seemed like the perfect night to cook it, as I was feeling very domestic… I even used the iron for the first time! I treated my roommates to it and we had a lovely dinner. Here’s the recipe!
White Bean Chicken Chili (from Allrecipes.com and tweaked by me).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked (by boiling) then chopped up
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 2 spoonfuls of canned garlic…I cut my corners)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth (try to get the low sodium kind, we don’t like hypertension!)
- 1 can tomatoes, diced with no added salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
- Oregano, Cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 can cannelloni beans (really any white beans you like)
- Spicy grated cheese
- Sour cream (I went with fat free..cutting the corners where I can)
- Boil chicken and then chop it up (I brought the water to a boil and then let it simmer for about 25 minutes, then chopped up the chicken).
- Chop the onion.
- Heat olive oil in large pot and cook onion and garlic till soft.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and spices. Bring to a boil (takes forever)and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and beans. Simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips!
If you do not like spicy food, hold off on the tomatoes with chilis or anything like that, just do 2 cans of diced tomatoes and go easy with the cumin and pepper.
This is a pretty healthy chili, and is loaded with fiber thanks to the beans. The tomatoes fill you up without adding too many calories and the chicken is some great protein! It makes a lot, so you can freeze and eat it up all fall and winter long. Does anyone out there have any favorite chili recipes (OR pumpkin recipes) they would like to share? We love recipe suggestions!