So last month when we started the blog, I sent an email out to some of my friends to let them know. My sweet friend Kassi responded and requested an easy Indian recipe. Well believe it or not, as much as I love Indian food and as great of a cook as my mom is, I’ve never really attempted to make any type of Indian dish without help. One college football Saturday, Halley and I decided to venture out and give it a try.
Chana Masala – A delicious and spicy garbanzo bean recipe that can be served with rice or with bread.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste* or 1/4 inch piece of ginger crushed into a paste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans, washed and drained
- 2 tsp Chana Masala powder**
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Cilantro & Mint (optional)
1. Saute onion, tomatoes, and ginger in olive oil until the onions start to become translucent. Then, add green chilies.
2. Add garbanzo beans and chana masala powder. Then, add water and salt. Boil until the sauce thickens into a gravy.
A great dinner led to a great night of football (both of our teams won)!
*I found the bottle of ginger paste at a local Indian grocery store. There will surely be an experiment in the near future to create the delicious ginger dressing served at Japanese restaurants, using this paste.
**Chana masala powder can be found at any local Indian grocery store and maybe even specialty grocery stores such as World Market