So I guess you can say that I like eggplant as much as Halley does (see An Ode To Eggplant). For those of you that have never tried eggplant before, this Eggplant Melt is a good first try recipe because of all the yummy ingredients…it may just win you over.
One of my good friends made a similar recipe for me a couple years ago and I have made it several times since, tweaking it a little based on the ingredients that I have in the house. It takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish (watch out, Rachael Ray) and is very filling for a vegetarian meal.
- Olive oil
- 1 Eggplant (there are 2 in the picture, but I only used 1)
- 1/2 jar of tomato sauce (I used Spicy Marinara because it was BOGO at Publix)
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- French hamburger rolls (you can use any type of roll/bun)
- Part skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into large cubes.
2. Pour about 1 Tablespoon olive oil into a pot and add eggplant. Cook on low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add about 1/2 jar tomato sauce, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to the pot. Mix well. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat until eggplant has become soft. The time will depend on how large/small the cubes of eggplant are. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Scoop eggplant mixture onto 1/2 of roll and cover with a slice of mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake for about 3 minutes at 350 degrees, or until cheese is melted.
A couple of things:
- I prefer to make these open faced because you can taste more of the yummy eggplant, but you can definitely make it as a regular sandwich.
- When my friend made this for me, she topped it with fresh basil. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any at the grocery store today, but I would highly recommend adding it.